Preparing and Loading Your Trailer

Whether you are towing a camping trailer, cargo, or transporting goods, it is important to balance your load and prepare your trailer and tow vehicle for a safe trip. Some important things to consider are:

  1. Trailer Tongue Weight
  2. Load Placement
  3. Securing Your Cargo

Trailer Tongue Weight

One of the main causes of sway is not having the proper percentage of trailer tongue weight compared to gross trailer weight: Your tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of your overall trailer weight and 5th wheels can be as high as 25%.

Load Placement

To reduce trailer sway, your heaviest cargo should be placed in the very front of the trailer, ahead of the trailer’s axle. Always adhere to the 60/40 rule when loading the trailer. Load the front of the trailer first, placing 60 percent of the weight forward of the front axle, with the weight evenly distributed side to side.

Securing Your Cargo

We recommend tying top heavy items at several angles, so they don’t fall over or move during transport. Also, loads can move and settle during a journey allowing restraints to loosen. If possible, re-check the restraints shortly after beginning the journey.

If you follow these guidelines, you will experience less sway and better tow vehicle handling.

All website orders over $45.00 qualify for free shipping in the contiguous United States. Order today!