Is the 60 40 Trailer Rule Still Accurate?

In the world of professional and hobbyist towing, the 60/40 trailer rule has long been guideline for drivers to follow. This time-honored principle suggests that 60% of a trailer's cargo weight should be loaded in the front half of the trailer, with the remaining 40% distributed towards the rear. According to popular wisdom, the 60/40 rule ensures an optimal balance and stability during long travels. The problem is, many people have come to take this rule for granted. Lets dive deep into the question of whether or not the 60/40 rule should still be seen as valid after years of use.

Why was the 60/40 Rule Created?

The 60/40 rule was created due to the basic physics of towing. When a trailer is hitched to a towing vehicle, the handling of the main vehicle will be greatly effected by its weight distribution. Too much weight towards the rear can lead to trailer sway, where the trailer whips from side to side, potentially causing loss of control. Conversely, excess weight at the front can overly burden the towing vehicle, impairing its steering and braking.

The 60/40 split was created as an effective middle ground to prevent these issues. You might think that 50/50 would work better, but the main concern for most drivers is the issue of fishtailing. In order to minimize the risk of excessive sway, most drivers choose to put less weight on the rear axle of the vehicle.

Modern Technology vs The 60/40 Rule

As technological advancements have reshaped the automotive industry, they have also impacted trailer functionality. Modern trailers are designed very differently than during the 1990s, which can alter weight distribution needs. Additionally, towing vehicles now have more sophisticated suspension and braking systems that provide a better sense of handling than in the 1990s. This begs the question: does modern technology diminish the necessity of the 60/40 rule, or could it possibly necessitate a new standard altogether?

The truth is, the 60/40 rule is not only a question of trailer handling, but also an issue regarding the burden of the weight. For example, a 70/30 rule might put too much strain on the front axle over time. Even if its possible to have a safe drive that way, it would be an unnecessary burden on the front axle.

Should You Still Follow the 60/40 Rule?

The 60/40 rule is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Several factors come into play, including the type of cargo, the trailer’s design, the towing vehicle’s capabilities, and the conditions of travel. It is essential to consider these variables and consult the latest recommendations from manufacturers and professionals in the field of trailers and towing. While the 60/40 rule may still provide a strong starting point for weight distribution, it is crucial to understand that it is not an inflexible law and adjustments may enhance safety and performance.

Maximize Your Weight Distribution with Fastway Trailer Products Today!

As a trailer owner, it's important to ensure that weight distribution is properly balanced for optimal safety and performance. While the 60/40 rule is a commonly used guideline, it may not always be the best fit for your specific setup. That's where Fastway Trailer Products comes in. With our innovative and reliable weight distribution systems, you can maximize your load capacity and minimize the risk of sway and other potential hazards on the road. Don't just rely on a general rule - invest in the right equipment for your unique needs and enjoy a safer, smoother towing experience today.

For hitches, ball mounts, and more; check out the product catalog for Fastway Trailer today.

All website orders over $45.00 qualify for free shipping in the contiguous United States. Order today!